#7 – 10 Things We Can Do For our Adult Children
Now that we are into this new phase of life, it has occurred to me that there are things that we can be doing now to help insure that our children fully enjoy their own empty nest someday:
- Stay on top of our health – the better shape that we are in, the easier life will be for them.
- Keep the lines of communication open – parenting doesn’t stop; it simply changes.
- Encourage them to strengthen their own relationships; with each other and with friends/family.
- Discuss our own wishes for the future, while they are still “in the future.” That way, when things come up they are better prepared to deal with them.
- Pray for them daily; we know all too well the kind of pressure that they are under.
- Get rid of our clutter; it’s hard enough to deal with your own, much less someone else’s.
- Continue to take photographs and videos, and try to keep them organized. It’s the easiest way to record and share family history with them.
- Write things down; important dates, names and other things that you want them to always remember.
- Try to pay off as much debt as possible so that they aren’t left having to deal with our finances someday.
- Be positive role models in an often negative world.