I ❤️ Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is one of my very favorite holidays of the year. Each year at this time, I hear the recurring criticisms – it’s not a “real” holiday, only the card stores and florists love this day; I could go on and on. Although some of that might be true, there are so many reasons to embrace the spirit of love that we celebrate on Valentine’s Day. Here are a just a few of my favorites:
- School children love Valentine’s Day. It is the “great equalizer,” as nearly everyone is able to either buy or make Valentine cards for their classmates and teachers. Gone are the days where someone felt left out because they didn’t get any cards at school – all students typically give cards to every classmate now. Valentine’s Day is a chance for everyone at school to take a moment to say, “You’re special.”
- Saying “I Love You” is free. It doesn’t cost a thing to simply make sure that you let those closest to you know that you love and appreciate them. On Valentine’s Day you can make that special effort to let others know you care – even if it’s simply with your words and actions.
- It is a day full of “warm fuzzies.” Even if you don’t have a “sweetheart” to celebrate with, hopefully there is someone in your life that you care about enough to send a card to, make a phone call to, or simply share a hug with.
- There are hearts everywhere, which is not only a symbol of love, but a perfect reminder of the February emphasis on heart health.
- Red and pink break the winter monotony and bring a brightness of color to an otherwise drab time of year. Along with the bright colors comes the promise of spring in the near future.
- Chocolate candy and conversation hearts. No further explanation needed.
- It makes you stop and take time to simply show love to others. Valentine’s Day is only commercialized if you allow it to be. If you choose to, you can simply make it a special day where you take the time to spread love and cheer to those around you.
Wishing you love and happiness this Valentine’s Day.